Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My Baby's Birthday

Today is my Isaac's Birthday. I can't believe it has already been two years. I spent the day reliving his birthing experience. It's funny as a mom I've also done that on each one of Letty's birthdays. Does everyone do that? It seems natural since you are celebrating their life to reflect on their birth, at least to me. I have just a few precious memories of Isaac in this life so I like to revisit all of them, even though it's painful. I'm not sure exactly what I want to say except that we love and miss him. We decided last year that we would always celebrate his birthday in some way. Letty thought we should wear party hats, I thought that was a bit much so we made cookies instead. I love my sweet Letty who is so tender hearted. While baking she talked about Isaac. It went something like this.

L-I'm thinking about Isaac and that he can hear us right now.
S- I think he can hear us and know that we are celebrating him.
L-I'm wondering what he will look like when he is big like you and daddy.
S- Do you think he looks more like mommy or daddy?
L-I think he looks like daddy.
S- Me too.
L-We should send these cookies up to him.
S-That's a nice idea but I think he'll just have to know we are thinking of him.
L-Okay

She has such a sure and clear perspective. Children are amazing!

Today I wore the necklace I share with him, to have him close to my heart. Bare with me while I share some of my testimony. I feel very strongly that I need to share my feelings about this experience with others or I would be offending my Father in Heaven. I often hear this statement in regards to loosing a child "I don't know how you can do that, I couldn't." I respond with this: "you would be amazed at what you can do that you didn't think you could." I didn't/don't do it alone. I was blessed with strength beyond my own. I love the plan of salvation and happiness. I know my Heavenly Father loves me and that families can be bonded together forever. I know we are sent angles to comfort and lift us. So today and everyday but especially today my thoughts are with my sweet angel baby who awaits us in Heaven. We love you!


14 comments:

Unknown said...

We love him too. I was thinking about him and you today. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Heather said...

That is so beautiful. I am amazed it has been so long also. It is amazing what you can get through with Heavenly father on your side. You are such a strong woman, and an incredible mom. Cookies are such a good way to celebrate!!! Thank you for sharing this!!!! Letty is soooo stinking cute. It’s amazing how much they just adapt and understand. We miss you guys!!!

Renee' P said...

I can't believe it's been two years!
Happy Birthday to your baby boy.
I can't imagine the loss you feel! I do know that I couldn' have gotten through losing a Foster Baby twice w/out help either.
What a wonderful treat to celebrate this day.
My heart and prayers are with you.

Valerie said...

I was thinking about you yesterday and sending love your way. Happy birthday to your perfect child!

Nanakat said...

When my dad died after knee surgery, my sister pointed out that since families are so very important, he must be aware of the things that are going on in our lives, no matter how busy he is on the other side. Every time we think of him and feel tender, we are sure he is nearby. I believe this is so with Isaac and my granddaughter, Winnie, whose birthday is in less than a month, as well. Thank you for sharing your memories of your dear little boy. He was there, feeling your love as you and Letty made those cookies. love, Aunt Kathleen

Windybrook Spinner said...

I was thinking about you yesterday. Even though it is hard, I'm glad we share that experience. It's hard to know what to do to celebrate their life. I like the cookies idea.

Josh n Betsie said...

happy birthday Isaac.

Parke Family said...

Wow. What a great tribute. Sharla you are amazing!

CL said...

This is sweet. I have been thinking about Isaac the past several days and the imprint he has made on our hearts. Thanks.

Randi said...

thank you for sharing that sharla.

sweet little baby isaac....

Julia said...

Your baby boy is beautiful. I am so sorry.

Chriss said...

that was beautiful sharla. isaac left an indelible impact on my life despite his short time here. thank you for sharing those thoughts.

The Darringtons said...

You are amazing to me my little sister. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and we thought about Isaac many times on our trip. He is loved by many people.

Celeste said...

I love you Sharla! I hope you got my email on his birthday, if not then I can resend it :)