Saturday we enjoyed a packed day of sightseeing. First, Letty and T-man also enjoyed going to the Ballet for Young People (thank you American Express) where they got to see snippets from Swan Lake and other dances. Letty drank it up!
Next was a trip to the Tenement Museum (no pics) which is actually a tour. We visited a tenement building that has been restored. The building had been closed and pretty much in a time capsule until 1985. We visited a typical 325 sq. ft. apartment which housed 10 people. The mom and dad shared a twin size bed with the baby. Six boys slept in one room sleeping on crates, chairs, and the floor and the only girl slept on the kitchen floor. An actress represented a 14-year-old girl who was a Sephardic Jewish immigrant from Turkey speaking Ladino a mix of Spanish and Hebrew. It was very educational and a neat experience.
The day wouldn't be complete without a visit to Chinatown. Our experience was complete with merchandise packed street fronts (similar to an outdoor market) and pirated DVDs. In addition you couldn't get more than 10 steps without hearing someone mumbling under their breath (Rolex, Rolex, Rolex). We have now truly experienced New York.
We have really enjoyed having the Harrisons live so close (friends from BYU) Monica and I enjoy our daily adventures together. T-man and Mathew enjoy great discussions to and from work on the packed subways each day. NYC is more fun when shared with friends.
This blog has pretty much turned into a photo gallery, so enjoy:
Gracie spends most of her time in the stroller, so when we get back and she can't walk we'll know why.
Eating in Chinatown. Not the best meal in the world but then again T-man was not completely convinced that eating at a Malaysian restaurant was a good idea after his recent trip there.
Helping herself to some cereal.
Kornets pizza on our block. The biggest slice you have ever seen! And the cheapest per square inch in NYC.
Still one of Letty's favorite things. Carousels...she enjoyed the ride. As for my opinion, it was rather dark in there and I couldn't completely enjoy it since it smelled strongly of urine (much of NYC does).
I actually don't know the name of this fountain but it is awesome! It is in Central Park.
As Monica and I are making our way to the Park we look over and see this, so we hurried across the street just in case.
New York City fire department, hard at work. I was surprise how quick they came.
4 comments:
The fountain is called "Bethesda Fountain". Looks like you guys are having a blast!
You make me happy we're going back there. Glad you are having fun adventures--and it is nice you have a buddy! I did most of my touring solo last summer (w. baby James of course).
LUCKY! I wish I had a buddy nearby! Glad you are experiencing it all!
Hey Girl! Looks like you guys are having a super exciting time there in NYC!!! I want some of that yummy pizza. WE miss you guys! hurry back. Oh, I went to the mall last week and Chloe said, "I wanna see collette." Aweeee. So sweet.
Post a Comment